Spring Bull Sale is on:
Wednesday 26th September 2018
at 1.30pm (inspection from 10.30am) on property at Riverview Coolac.
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO OUR EBV’S. We are sorry to cause inconvenience but all of our ‘N’ bulls in our catalogue have updated EBV’s which have just been released (20 September – see PDF below). We have the new EBV summary which now includes genomics results, physical scanning data and correct parentage verification. Could you please update your EBV’s prior to sale day to prevent confusion on sale day. You will be surprised by some of the favourable figure alterations of many of the ‘N’ bulls. Finally there have been very minimal changes to the EBV’s of the ‘M’ bulls as stated in the catalogue.
Please don’t hesitate to call us to discuss these changes. Bill 0428 245 208 or Tom 0422 050 019. Apologies for this inconvenience and we look forward to seeing you on sale day.
In this the 23rd Bongongo Spring Bull Sale we have many bulls by industry leading AI sires and Bongongo sires used in our program. AI is heavily used in our herd.
These sires are carefully selected using criteria that are important for replacement breeding programs in the colder tablelands environment where most of our clients are located. Much emphasis is placed on temperament and structure before we select for productive and reproductive Breedplan EBV’s that fit our criteria.
The summary of this years sale group is proof to these criteria with a high percentage of bulls with;
* positive calving ease direct (CED)
* negative gestation length(GL)
* low to moderate birthweight (BWgt)
* Strong growth rates (400Day) and milk figures
* Large emphasis on mature cow weights (MCW) is critical to our philosophy to drive the cost of production lower for not only our herd BUT that of our clients too.
* High emphasis is finally on carcass traits with marbling (IMF), positive fat cover and high muscle area (EMA) which has been a major focus of ours for nearly three decades since ultrasound scanning began. Positive fat cover in this tight (drought) year cannot be overstated and marbling in the Bongongo herd is one of the best in this country.
All this contributes to sale bulls with excellent breed indexes.
Sires of interest in this catalogue include:
* GRANITE RIDGE KAISER K26 – with seven sons of tremendous consistency and type. These sons are some of the first to sell in Australia and very worthy of your inspection. We are very impressed and there are many more to come.
* Low birth weight, good growth with excellent carcass traits by sires – ARDROSSAN JUSTICE, J93, LAWSONS INCREDIBLE H803, LAWSONS HARVARD H205 AND IRELANDS HEIRACHY H152.
* First sons by RENNYLEA K464, a Matauri Reality son that is doing a terrific job for us plus proven calving ease over many heifer AI programs. A tremendous phenotype, excellent structure and so docile. He will be on disply on sale day.
* Old favourites that need no introduction are Rennylea G255, Millwillah Gatsby G279, Karoo Generator G220, EF Complement 8088.
* New outcross genetics include VAR Generation, Millah Murrah Klooney, Millah Murrah Kingdom.
* Finally a couple of impressive home sires. Bongongo K6 and Bongongo L80 both sons of Rennylea G255 with great phenotype and genotype.
We look forward to seeing you on sale day and we are always interested in your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to contact Bill 0428245208 or Tom 0422050019 to arrange an inspection or to discuss your requirements.
Our Sale will be by Video Auction. The bulls will not be put through a ring instead they will be sold by auction on a large TV screen. The bull pens are very close to the sale shed. This is a growing trend in the seedstock industry and is a for environment for all concerned. The bulls will be penned from 10.30am on sale day and we strongly recommend you allow enough time to make your selection.
All our bull sales are conducted by Elders Gundagai with Steve Ridley Elders Stud Stock Goulburn 0407483108 as the auctioneer. Please join us for a complimentary morning tea and BBQ lunch.
For the last three years we have decided to use GENOMIC testing (Zoetis i50k test) to enhance our EBV accuracy and check the parentage of all our sale bulls. This is a great advance to develop our Breedplan EBV’s into an even better world leading program.
Remember all our bulls are sold veterinary inspected and in fit working order
Our Breeding Objectives
At Bongongo we understand the key profit drivers of our commercial clients with fertility the most important. The Bongongo bulls are given rigorous pre sale veterinary breeding soundness examination (VBBSE) followed in subsequent years by an annual VBBSE where possible. This should be a sale industry standard to maximise bull fertility and protect buyers from poor reproductive performance .
Our bulls are sold in their”working clothes.” They are not given any special treatment which we believe prepares them for the conditions under which they need to perform.
Selection for fertility is matched by those Breedplan EBV’s that affect this trait especially calving ease, gestation length, importance of positive rib and rump fat (as proven by the CRC project) to aid selection of AI sires used in the herd. These sires tend to complement the key research from the Beef CRC Maternal Productivity project released proving the importance of higher rib fat depth heifers. They have up to 8% better conception rates compared to those with lower RIB FAT EBV’S. This supports what has been obvious to me for years standing behind many females. It is more obvious in the tougher years and equates to the critical importance of fertility (reproductive rate) and its effect on your enterprise profitability. It was also pleasing to note that selection for higher EMA had no effect on heifer conception rate.
The emphasis at Bongongo has always been in the strength of the female herd. They are our backbone. Bongongo females have been carefully selected for fertility, milking ability, structural soundness and length. The progeny of these cows are today in high demand by feedlots for steer calves plus commanding premium for surplus female lines. Not much has changed in 35 years as a cattle veterinarian as fertility remains the key profit driver in your cattle breeding business and matching your herd to your environment is critical. The importance of genetic diversity in the Bongongo Stud is well recognised especially with our veterinary training to limit the impacts on future production due to inbreeding. The effects of recessive genetic traits especially AM, NH & CA and recently DD bears testimony to the dangers of the reliance of using the genetics of some bulls too heavily.
The ability for breeders to select for key traits through scanning has been the single biggest development over nearly 30 years giving breeders an enormous benefit for carcass selection traits. Leading Angus sires who fit these criteria are used extensively through artificial breeding to improve the genetics of our herd and our clients herds! The importance of MARBLING(IMF) is back on the agenda as the red meat sector moves through genetics and nutrition to supply improved eating quality and increased value down the chain. The consumer is becoming more educated, demanding and able to afford and our breed is in a tremendous position to take advantage of their requirements.